About 20 years ago, a group of vintage bike buffs discovered one another. Seemingly all of a sudden, new interest was sparked and others interested in lightweight vintage bikes were discovered. The weekend includes rides, seminars, the Classic Rendezvous Bike Show and Expo and an awards ceremony.
- An enthusiast (Michael Starwalker?) in Colorado started a short-lived web site (name ?) for classic bikes, and many of us got started that way.
- Bill Ward in the Pacific Northwest had a mailing list where he offered vintage bikes and parts to enthusiasts.
- Mike Kone in the greater Boston area started a vintage-focus bike shop and mail order concern named Bicycle Classics (now owned by Greg Parker)
- Dale Brown started the Classic Rendezvous web site in about 1997(?)
- The L'Eroica event in Gaiole Italy was begun in 1997.
- In 1998, Dale started the first Cirque du Cyclisme event in Greensboro, NC. It was a bike ride, a swap meet and a vintage bike show; "A 3 ring circus of bike fun".
- Chuck Schmidt organized his Velo Rendezvous event from 2001 until 2008 in Pasadena, CA.
- In 2007, Dale retired from organizing the Cirque du Cyclisme and Wayne Bingham took over, bring it to Leesburg, Va.
- In 2011 and again in 2016, Dale put on "fill-in" events called the CR Weekend.
Now, both the CR weekends and the Cirque du Cyclisme have run their course. Or at least have used up the energies of their respective organizers! This will be the last of this series. But let me also quickly say that Wayne and I will happily advise & assist any new organizers of similar events in the future. It's a lot of work but also very rewarding!